Your personal information is an important part of your identity. You need to keep it safe.
To commit an identity crime, thieves only need some basic details such as your name, date of birth, address, myGov details, or tax file number (TFN).
They can use this information to:
- access your bank account and buy things using your credit card
- access your myGov account to steal your tax refund
- steal your superannuation
- make fraudulent self-managed super fund (SMSF) registrations
- apply for a government benefit
- sell your house
- commit refund fraud in your name
- take over your business and submit adjustments for business activity statements (BAS) that you have lodged before
- sell your identity to organised crime groups on the dark web or via other means.
If identity thieves steal your identity, it can take a long time to fix. It may be difficult for you to:
- get a job or loan
- rent a house
- apply for government services or benefits.
If you suspect your personal information, such as your TFN, has been stolen, misused or compromised, please get in touch with the ATO as soon as possible on 1800 467 033 between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday. They will investigate and can place extra protection on your ATO account if required.
If you have any other concerns regarding your personal information or the security of your finances, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our team members.